A household's monthly Food Stamp benefits and Temporary Assistance (TA) benefits are loaded to an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. Households receiving Food Stamp benefits use their EBT cards to purchase food and food products, such as seeds and plants to grow food. Households receiving TA benefits use their EBT card at a cash register or an ATM machine to redeem cash that may be used for the household's children such as clothing, utilities and other services.

The EBT card may be used in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that displays the QUEST Mark®, or ATM that displays the QUEST Mark®, STAR®, or SHAZAM® logos.

How to Use Your EBT Card

Authorized Retailer Logos

EBT Logos

When will I get my EBT card?

If you have never had an EBT card in the State of Missouri, one will be mailed to you when you are approved for Food Stamp benefits or your Temporary Assistance benefits is approved.

View a Sample EBT Card

EBT sample card

If you already have an EBT card that was used in the last year, benefits will be loaded the day after you are approved for benefits. If a previous EBT card has not been used in the last 365 days, you will be mailed a new card.

If you have not received both within five days of receiving your letter about your approval for benefits, contact the Family Support Division (FSD) Information Center toll free at 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636).

If you have received your EBT card and need to use your benefits immediately, you can call 800-997-7777 to select a PIN so you do not have to wait for the additional mailing.

Security & Care Tips for Your Card

  • Do not throw your card away
  • Do not bend or fold your card
  • Use caution if allowing others to use your EBT card to purchase food for you. Benefits misused by someone you know, will not be replaced.
  • Keep your card clean
  • Keep the magnetic stripe on the back of your card free from scratches
  • Keep the card away from magnets, TVs, stereos, or microwaves
  • Keep your card out of direct sunlight
  • Store your card in a safe place

Security & Care Tips for Your PIN

Protect your PIN:

  • Keep your PIN a secret
  • Memorize your PIN
  • Do not write your PIN on your card
  • Do not let anyone see your PIN as you enter it at the terminal, even a store cashier

If someone knows your PIN and uses your card, your benefits will not be replaced.

If you think that someone knows your PIN, change your PIN by calling Customer Service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 800-997-7777.

Are there restrictions when using my EBT card?

Yes. It is illegal to use your EBT card at:

  • Liquor store
  • Casino, gambling casino, gaming business (including bingo hall)
  • Adult-entertainment business
  • Any place mainly for or used by adults 18 or older and/or not in the best interest of the child or household

It is also illegal to use your EBT card to buy:

  • Alcohol;
  • Tobacco;
  • Hot prepared foods;
  • Foods prepared to be immediately eaten;
  • Vitamins, medicine, supplements; or
  • Non-food items such as paper products, soap, or pet food.

Buying any of these items with your EBT card or using your EBT card at any of these locations is considered misuse. The Family Support Division (FSD) checks EBT purchases. If you misuse your EBT card, you will no longer be able to use an EBT card and FSD will select a new person to make purchases for your child/children. If you use your EBT card at any of these locations, you will be required to pay back the amount of the purchase. It is against the law for retailers at these locations to accept EBT cards.

For questions about EBT card restrictions, contact the FSD at 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636) or visit any FSD Resource Center.

How do I report if my card has been lost, stolen or damaged?

If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, please call 800-997-7777 to cancel your card or the FSD Information Center toll free at 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636). A replacement will be mailed to you upon reporting that your card has been lost, stolen or damaged.

When should I contact the Family Support Division for help with my EBT card?

You should contact the Family Support Division if:

  • You have questions on the amount of benefits you receive
  • Your address has changed
  • You want to know when your first benefits are going to be on your card
  • You were told that your benefits would be on your card on a specific day, but you did not get the benefits