help with home utility costs

ATTENTION: The Department of Social Services is dedicated to implementing the Low-Income Home Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). We will begin accepting applications February 2022.

What help is available?

You may be able to get help paying your heating/cooling bills through our Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).

LIHEAP may be able to help you pay your home energy bills through:

  • Energy Assistance (EA) - A one-time payment for one fuel type for your heating or cooling costs from–October-September.
  • Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) - Helps pay your energy bill when you have a sudden, unexpected, uncontrollable loss of financial resources, life-threatening situation, or if there is any circumstance that threatens your stability if energy aid is not supplied. The amount of help you receive is based on the amount of money needed to settle your crisis with the energy provider.
    • Winter ECIP is available November through May based on funding. The maximum amount you could receive is $1,600.
    • Summer ECIP is available June through September based on funding. The maximum amount you could receive is $1,200.
  • Some contracted agencies may also provide emergency services such as blankets, emergency lodging, heating/cooling replacement or repair, window air conditioners, or wood stoves.

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible for help if you:

  • Are responsible for paying the utilities for your home (including if you rent)
  • Are a United States citizen (or have been legally admitted for permanent residence)
  • Have $3,000 or less in your bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments
  • Meet specific income guidelines

For more information about eligibility requirements, contact the Contracted Agency that provides services for your area.

How Do I apply?

NOTE: You must have Adobe Reader on your computer or device to open the application. If you do not have it, you can download it for free. If you have any issues, you can call your Contracted Agency or 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636) and have an application mailed to you if needed.

Apply Online

  1. Complete the LIHEAP application and save it to your computer or device LIHEAP Applicacion en español

  2. Click on the submit button at the end of the application

  3. On the next screen, upload your application and any other required documents

  4. Click on upload/submit

Apply by Mail

  1. Open the LIHEAP application and print it from your computer or device

  2. Complete your application

  3. Mail your completed application and any required documentation to your

    Contracted Agency


IMPORTANT: Before submitting your application, make sure you have included all documents the application asks for so your case can be processed as quickly as possible.


When will I get my benefit?

Once you submit your application and required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 30 business days (unless it is considered a crisis for LIHEAP). A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you will get.

After you apply, please continue to pay your utility bills if you can so you do not get disconnected or run out of fuel such as propane, wood, or pre-paid electric. Your bill needs to be paid to your utility company (not the LIHEAP agency).

Information for Contractors & Suppliers

Visit our Contractor/Supplier website to:

  • Access our online system
  • Stay up to date on important reminders
  • Find helpful resources & contact information