What help is available?
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help you pay your home energy bills through:
- Energy Assistance - A one-time payment for one fuel type for your heating or cooling costs from October-May.
- Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) - Helps pay your energy bill when you have a termination or disconnect notice indicating a specific disconnect date, a final billing statement advising the account has been terminated, a propane-fuel oil tank is filled at less than 20% capacity, the customer is a cash on delivery (COD) customer, pre-paid electric customer indicates their pre-paid usage is about to run out, or when an applicant indicates another fuel source is about to fun out (Wood, corn pellets, kerosene). The amount of help you receive is based on the amount of bill with the energy provider.
- Winter ECIP is available November—May based on funding. The maximum amount you could get is $800.
- Summer ECIP is available June—September based on funding. The maximum amount you could get is $600.
- Contracted agencies may also provide emergency services such as blankets, emergency lodging, heating/cooling replacement or repair, window air conditioners, or wood stoves.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for help if you:
- Are responsible for paying the utilities for your home (including if you rent)
- Are a Missouri resident
- Are a United States citizen (or have been legally admitted for permanent residence)
- Have $3,000 or less in your bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments
- Meet or are below the income guidelines for your household size
For more information about eligibility requirements, contact the Contracted Agency that provides services for your area.
How do I apply?
NOTE: You must have Adobe Reader on your computer or device to open the application. If you do not have it, you can download it for free. You can also call your Contracted Agency or 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636) and have an application mailed to you if needed.
When will I get my benefit?
Once you submit your application and required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 30 business days (unless it is considered a crisis for LIHEAP). A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you will get.
After you apply, please continue to pay your utility bills if you can so you do not get disconnected or run out of fuel such as propane, wood, or pre-paid electric. Your bill needs to be paid to your utility company (not the LIHEAP agency).
If you have questions about LIHEAP or need help with your application, contact your Contracted Agency