Food Distribution Programs

The Family Support Division (FSD) Food Distribution Unit, through the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Distribution Program, provides food to help improve the nutritional status of children and needy adults. These programs provide for distribution of USDA-donated foods to recipient agencies.

FSD distributes foods to summer food service programs for children, disaster relief, and six non-profit food banks that provide emergency food assistance to food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, domestic violence shelters, Kid's Cafes, and other non-profit organizations providing meals in a congregate setting to needy persons/households.

Under certain terms and conditions, donated foods may be obtained from FSD for use in hospitals, nursing homes, retirement homes, other group homes, senior citizen centers, day care centers, emergency shelters, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, sheltered workshops, substance abuse centers, correctional facilities, halfway houses, and other charitable institutions.

Who is eligible?

Institutions or organizations that:

  • Are public or private non-profit and exempt from federal tax;
  • Are organized for charitable or public welfare purposes; and
  • Serve meals or distribute USDA-donated foods to needy persons.

Needy persons and households that:

  • Receive public assistance; or
  • Have a combined gross income below 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (150% for households containing an elderly or disabled person).

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.