EBT Retailers header

What is EBT?

An Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) is an electronic system that lets people transfer their government benefit from a federal account to a retailer account. A person can use an EBT card at approved stores to pay for their food and food products using their SNAP (Food Stamp) benefit. A person cannot use their EBT card to buy:

  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Hot prepared foods or foods to be immediately eaten
  • Vitamins, medicine, supplements
  • Non-food items, such as paper products, soap, or pet food

A person can also use their EBT card to withdraw their cash (Temporary Assistance) benefit.

How do I become an EBT retailer?

You will need to apply to become an authorized EBT retailer. To apply, contact the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) at 877-823-4369. Once you are approved you will need to display a QUEST Mark®, STAR®, or SHAZAM® logo that will let people know they can use their EBT card at your store.

How do I qualify as a provider for online purchasing?

Missouri is one of the first states to offer SNAP online purchasing through the USDA. If you would like to become an online retailer, please review the USDA’s Retailer Requirements to Provide Online Purchasing to SNAP Households.


  • If you need help with your SNAP Retailer Application, call 877-823-4369
  • If you need more information about your business options and EBT, call 1-888-227-6090
  • If you need to change your stores bank account or you need help with government-issued equipment, call 1-888-227-6090 (NOTE: If you use a third-party provider, please reach out to them instead)
  • If you need to change the name or address of your store, of if your are closing or selling your store, call 877-823-4369