My Temporary Assistance Benefit header

Manage My Benefit


Check EBT Balance

See how much money you have left on your EBT card this month.


Report a Change

Let us know if your information (like your address or income) has changed.


Check My Status

Check the status of your Temporary Assistance benefit or application in the FSD Benefit Portal.


Request a New Card

Learn how to get a new EBT card if yours has been lost, damaged or stolen.


Job Training

Learn about the Missouri Work Assistance Program & how to get started.


Check EBT Schedule

Find out which day you will get your cash benefit each month.

What happens after I'm approved?

Once you are approved for Temporary Assistance (TA), you will get your Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card in the mail. Your monthly benefit will be loaded on this card. You can check the monthly EBT benefit schedule to see what day your benefit will be loaded to your card every month.

Most TA recipients will also need to begin employment and job training through the MWA Program.

How long will I get help?

You can get TA benefits for up to 45 months as long as you are still eligible and you:

  • Pay your child support (unless you can prove this would be physically or emotionally harmful to you or your children).
  • Only use the cash benefit for the children in your household.
  • Look for and accept any job that would not cause a loss in your income.
  • Attend a substance abuse treatment program through the Department of Mental Health if you test positive for a drug test. If you do not, you will lose your TA benefit for 3 years and will need to choose a Protective Payee (someone who will receive your benefit) so the rest of your household can still can get help.
  • Meet certain employment and training requirements. Your TA benefits will be cut in half and then stopped if you do not participate in these work activities.

You may be able to continue getting benefits after 45 months if you are a teen parent (under the age of 18) and attending school, over the age of 60, or you are disabled or in need of in-home care for a disabled family member.

In order to keep getting benefits each year, you will also be required to complete an annual review. This review will allow the Family Support Division to make sure your household is still eligible for help. You will get a letter in the mail with instructions when it is time for your review.

How do I use my EBT Card?

When you are approved for TA, your Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card will be sent to the home address you listed, within 5-7 business days. Your EBT card will work much like a debit card, and you will have a PIN number you will need to enter. To set up – or change - your EBT pin number please call the EBT vendor help desk at 800-997-7777. It is important that you keep your EBT card and PIN number safe and secure(Español) at all times. You can use your EBT card to take out cash at any retail location or ATM in the United States that displays the QUEST Mark®, SHAZAM®, or STAR® logo.

It is illegal to use your EBT card at the following locations:

  • Liquor store
  • Casino, gambling casino, gaming business (including bingo hall)
  • Adult-entertainment business
  • Any place mainly for or used by adults 18 or older and/or not in the best interest of the child or household