Frequently Asked Questions
- What is an annual renewal?
An annual renewal is a process the Family Support Division is federally required to complete that checks to see if a participant is still eligible for MO HealthNet (Missouri Medicaid) each year. Prior to 2020, the Family Support Division would send MO HealthNet participants an annual renewal form in the mail around the same time every year to be completed and sent back.
- Why haven't annual renewals been required the last 3 years?
At the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, the federal government declared a public health emergency that put a freeze on ending Medicaid coverage for participants, unless a participant became incarcerated, deceased, or moved out of state. This meant that Missouri was required to continue Medicaid coverage for participants, even if their eligibility changed, so a renewal was not required.
- Why are annual renewals restarting in April if the federal public health emergency is still in place?
Recent legislation signed by the federal government set a specific date to resume Medicaid eligibility renewals, despite the ongoing federal public health emergency. This means that Medicaid renewals are no longer tied to the public health emergency and will begin again on April 1, 2023.
- When will I need to complete my annual renewal?
Typically, your annual renewal will be required around the anniversary of when your coverage began. For example, if you were approved for Medicaid in June, your annual renewal may be around that time.
You can find out when you are due for your annual renewal any time by logging in to the FSD Benefit Portal. If you do not have an account set up, you will need to create one to get started. You can also review the Annual Renewal timeline.
- I qualify for Adult Expansion coverage. Do I have to complete an annual renewal?
Yes. All MO HealthNet participants are currently required to complete the annual renewal process each year. This process will be new if you just recently qualified for MO HealthNet through Adult Expansion coverage.
- Do I need to do anything to get ready for my annual renewal?
Here is what you can do to get ready for your annual renewal:
- Make sure the Family Support Division has your current address on file. We will send you important information about your annual renewal by mail, so it is important we have your correct address on file. If your address has changed recently, you can report this change online, in person at your local resource center, or by phone at 855-373-4636.
- Create an account with the new FSD Benefit Portal. Once you create an account and login, you will be able to find the date your annual renewal is due under “My Notifications.” When it is time for your annual renewal, you will also find important updates and have the option to complete your annual renewal online.
- What happens if I don’t complete my annual renewal by the due date?
If you do not complete your MO HealthNet annual renewal by the due date, you will lose your MO HealthNet coverage on the last day of the month that your renewal was due. If you complete your annual renewal within 90 days of your case closure your MO HealthNet coverage will be restored while the Family Support Division (FSD) reviews your information. Please note that FSD may ask you for verification documents during this time. If you complete your annual renewal more than 90 days after your due date, you must re-apply for MO HealthNet and request prior quarter coverage so you do not have any gaps in your coverage.
EXAMPLE: If your annual renewal is due September 30, 2023, your 90 day grace period will end on December 31, 2023. If you complete your annual renewal any time after December 31, 2023, you will need to re-apply for MO HealthNet.
- What happens if I lose my annual renewal form?
If you lose your annual renewal form, you can:
- Login to the FSD Benefit Portal to find a copy of your annual renewal form online. You will also have the option to complete and submit your annual renewal form in the portal. If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one before you login.
- Start a chat with us at mydss.mo.gov or call 855-373-4636 and ask us to mail you a new annual form. A team member will be available to assist you between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please complete and return your new annual renewal form as soon as you get it in the mail so we can process your information.
- How do I complete my annual renewal?
If FSD needs more information to see if you still qualify for healthcare coverage through MO HealthNet, you will get a yellow annual renewal form in the mail. Your annual renewal form will also be loaded to your FSD Benefit Portal. You will need to complete, sign, and submit this form by the deadline in your letter so you do not risk losing your healthcare coverage. Here are all of the ways you can submit your annual renewal:
- ONLINE: You can complete, sign and submit your annual renewal form by logging in to the FSD Benefit Portal. You can also upload a copy of your completed and signed annual renewal form to FSD.
- IN PERSON: Visit your local FSD Resource Center to return your annual renewal or to get help with completing your form.
- BY PHONE: Call 855-373-4636 and select the MO HealthNet option to complete your annual renewal by phone.
- BY MAIL: Return your completed and signed form to the address shown on the letter.
- What happens after I submit my annual renewal?
Once you submit your annual renewal, the Family Support Division will review and process your information. We will then make a decision about your eligibility. There are three possible decisions, which include:
- No change: We have checked your information and you are still eligible for MO HealthNet coverage. Nothing will change, and there is nothing more you need to do.
- Change in coverage: We have checked your information and you are still eligible for MO HealthNet, but we have determined that you now qualify for a different type of coverage. Your letter will let you know what type of MO HealthNet coverage you now have and will provide instructions if there is anything further you need to do. If you disagree with this decision you will need to take action by the date listed in your letter.
- Adverse Action: We have checked your information and have determined that you no longer qualify for healthcare coverage through MO HealthNet. If you disagree with this decision you will need to take action by the date listed in your letter.
- When will I know if I am approved for coverage?
After the Family Support Division gets the information they need (as long as it is fully complete and all of the required documents are there) it will take us approximately 30 days to process your renewal. Once complete, we will send you a letter in the mail with our decision. You can also log in to the FSD Benefit Portal to find out if your coverage is renewed. If it is, you will see that your next annual renewal is not due until the next year. If you do not currently have a portal account, visit mydss.mo.gov to get started.
- What happens if I am no longer eligible for MO HealthNet?
If you are no longer eligible to get MO HealthNet coverage and disagree with the decision, you have the right to a hearing. Follow the directions on your adverse action letter to petition for a hearing.
If you no longer meet the eligibility requirements to get healthcare coverage through MO HealthNet, we encourage you to visit healthcare.gov or call the Federal Health Insurance Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325) to see what other options may be available to you.
- Will you automatically check to see if I qualify for Adult Expansion coverage?
Yes. The Family Support Division will check to see if you qualify for any type of MO HealthNet coverage, including Adult Expansion. If you now qualify for Adult Expansion Coverage, you will get a letter in the mail notifying you of this change in coverage and what steps, if any, you need to take next.
- Will people lose MO HealthNet coverage during the renewal process?
It is important to us that everyone who is eligible still be able to get healthcare coverage through MO HealthNet. With that said, since the Family Support Division has not been required to check eligibility in 3 years, there may be some participants who are no longer eligible and will lose their coverage through the annual renewal process.
- Why did my MO HealthNet coverage change after my annual renewal?
If your coverage has changed, this means we have checked your information and you are still eligible for MO HealthNet, but we have determined that a different type of coverage is a better fit for you. Your letter will let you know what type of MO HealthNet coverage you now have and will provide instructions if there is anything further you need to do.
- I didn't get an annual renewal notice in April. Does this mean I do not have to do one?
No. You will only get information about your annual renewal when you are due for one, typically around the anniversary of when your MO HealthNet coverage began. Every MO HealthNet participant will get a letter from the Family Support Division about their annual renewal at some point between May 2023 and May 2024.