Water and Sewer Banner

If you need translation services, call 1-855-373-4636 and ask for a translator. call TTY/TDD 1-800-735-2966/1-800-735-2466 for american Sign Language


Attention: LIHWAP is a federally funded program that is only funded through March 31, 2024.  If you need help with your water or sewer bill, you will need to apply before December 31, 2023.  DSS will not be able to accept any application submitted after Sunday, December 31 at 11:59pm.

What help is available?

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) may be able to help you with a one-time payment for your water and/or wastewater (sewer) bill from November - September. The maximum amount you could get is $750.00. LIHWAP can help with:

  • Disconnection or reconnection fees
  • Threat of disconnection
  • Past due and current bills

Who is eligible?

You may be eligible for help if you:

  • Are responsible for paying the utilities for your home (including if you rent)
  • Are a United States citizen (or have been legally admitted for permanent residence)
  • Are a Missouri resident
  • Have $3,000 or less in your bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments
  • Meet or are below the income guidelines for your household size

For more information about eligibility requirements, contact the Contracted Agency that provides services for your area.

How do I apply?

Follow these steps to apply for LIHWAP. If you need an application or document mailed to you, call your Contracted Agency or 855-FSD-INFO (855-373-4636). To help us process your application faster, please include your email address on your application and attach all necessary documents.



You can apply for LIHWAP two different ways:

  • Submit your application and documents online; or
  • Submit your printed application by mail, fax, or in person to your Contracted Agency


For Renters

  • If you rent your home and the water/wastewater bill is in your landlord name, the landlord must complete the Landlord Documentation Request
  • They can complete the form in one of two ways:



  • You may get a notice in the mail from the Family Support Division asking for more information so we can complete your LIHWAP application
  • To avoid delays, upload the requested information as soon as possible

When will I get my benefit?

Once you submit your application and required documents, your application will be reviewed within approximately 30 business days. A letter will be mailed to you that tells you if you qualify for help and the amount you will get.

How do I report changes?

Reporting changes in your income, household size, address or contact information is important so you can keep your eligibility up to date and so we can send you important information in the mail. If you have changes, please submit a Change Report Form.


If you have questions about LIHWAP or need help with your application, contact your Contracted Agency.